Saturday, February 13, 2010

Is Love in the Air?

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Today is Valentine's Day Eve, if you will, and I'm offering a thought or two before the day itself. Give you time to think about it and rush off to the store.

However Valentine's Day came to be observed to the extent it is in North America today, I am skeptical about much of it. I'm not fully jaded, chalking it up to greeting card companies alone, but I do lean toward the "much ado about nothing" camp.

All the same, one aspect of V's Day with which I cannot argue is its devotion to devotion...to numerous expressions of love and friendship: flowers, candy, poetry, dinners out, heart-shaped cookies, pretty cards, extra kisses and hugs.

So if you have a friend, lover, or stranger to whom you wish to offer an extra splash of love tomorrow, do it with gusto! I believe that any act of love, friendship, or fellow feeling is a good thing. Here are some quotes from a few people who seem to agree:

Tell the lonely people there's love in the world.
     -- Al Green

It's love, it's love that makes the world go 'round.
     -- Anonymous. Used by W. S. Gilbert in Iolanthe.

Oh, Happy race of men, if love, which rules Heaven, rule your minds.
     -- Boethius, Consolations of Philosophy

Flower o' the broom,
Take away love, and our earth is a tomb.
     -- Robert Browning, Fra Lippo Lippi

Across the gateway of my heart
I wrote, "No Thoroughfare,"
But love came laughing by, and cried:
"I enter everywhere."
     -- Herbert Shipman, No Thoroughfare

No comments: