Tuesday, February 23, 2010

International Friendship Week

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I took a look at my long list of holidays and observances (see my February 1 post for a short list) and discovered that we're in the middle or so of International Friendship Week. I think that's a neat idea, though I view its origins with some skepticism -- what if it was started by a greeting card company? In a brief search, I couldn't find out where it started, but I'm drawing attention to it because, like the other holidays and observances I write about, it doesn't hurt to be reminded of something worth thinking about.

What if each of us wrote down the names of three, five or ten friends and then did any or all of the following for them:
  1. Call and ask how her day is going. Have a chat.
  2. Say a prayer/Send him love for five minutes.
  3. Bake her favourite goodie and take it over while it's fresh.
  4. Make a card and mail it. (Okay, you can buy one if you must.)
  5. Offer to take care of one tedious task for him.
  6. Take her out for tea, coffee, or a meal.
  7. Invite her for a night or afternoon out to some fun event.
  8. Take care of another tedious task for him.
  9. Text or email him a short list of what you like about him.
  10. Thank her for being your friend.
I think that I can pretty much guarantee that both you and your friend(s) will feel better afterwards, no matter what's going on in your lives.

No comments: