Friday, March 5, 2010

O Canada!

Friday, March 5,  2010
I heard on the CBC Radio (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) today that the government is considering changing the lyrics of our national anthem because a number of women are protesting the use of the words "our sons." Given that I've been writing something daily for International Women's Day, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring on this topic.

I happen to love the "singability" and most of the sentiments contained within the official English version, but I have to say I like some of the changes proposed by Kim Campbell and others. Though I like singing our anthem, I know of others who don't -- some Native friends and some women. Ever the fence-sitter, I can also see the arguments of those who say it's all a bunch of whoo-hah -- and expensive, time-consuming whoo-hah at that.

In any case, here's my proposed version, briefly considered. The current version is on the left, and mine is on the right, with my changes Bolded.



O Canada!                                                                  O Canada!
Our home and native land!                                           Our home on Native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.                   True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,                           With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!                                   Our True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,                                      From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.                                         We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!                            Let's keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.                          O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.                          O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Canada is a great country, though, whatever we sing and however we sing. I'm delighted and grateful to live here.

No comments: